Wednesday, September 10, 2008

You and me baby ain't nothing but mammals, so let's do it like they do on the Discovery Channel

I just can't decide if I like My Morning Jacket or not. Something about their lazy lackadaisical attitude really appeals to me some days and then makes me gag others. And you know sometimes I want to hear a 10 minute guitar solo, but most times, I don't.

God, I feel amazing. The sleep of queens. The sleep of ages. It's a wonderful life!

----------------
A while ago, probably at least a year or two, my dear friend Brenticus, who works in books, and sends me lots and lots of free books!, sent me The Beach, as made famous in 2000 by Leonardo DeCapricock's movie. So I read the book and it was excellent. A really good, tight, read. I finished it and thought, you know I saw The Beach when it came out and I have absolutely no memory of it other than Leo sucks and Tilda Swinton rocks. So I put it on my neverending Netflix queue. Again it was a while back. It just came up and I watched it last night.

The Beach is the worst movie ever made. Totally ridiculous. Completely terrible. Terrible terrible terrible. Leo looks like a runt, a shrimp, a schmuck. Tilda is still cool but the way it's all presented with the soundtrack of incredibly dated tracks more prominent than the dialogue. So like how so many of those late 90s movies targeted towards my age group at the time were springboards more for bands than for actors. (See Brokedown Palace. See 10 Things I Hate About You. See 200 Cigarettes. See Mod Squad. etc etc etc and I mean I like bad movies. They're a part of who I are.).

See not Rushmore. See not Seven. See not Being John Malkovich. See not Boogie Nights. See not the best movie ever made, Deep Blue Sea. See how I played Jenga in Switzerland with the guy who wrote Deep Blue Sea. See how he was a fairly normal dude, self confessed too obsessed with Shark Week on Discovery Channel, looking to make a buck. Sign me up!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I ever finished watching The Beach. I have no idea what that movie is about.