Tuesday, May 12, 2009

If I could melt your heart

Recent events:!

Spent last night learning about atmospheres and bars for our first 4 hour!!!! scuba class tonight. Much more reading tonight because we have another 4 hour!!!! class Thursday and then 2 more 4 hour classes next week same time. It's actually pretty interesting and makes a lot of sense, although I would have sold my soul to not have had to learn it in college, now that I like learning the sciences and maths. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm really excited. Let's hope a shark doesn't bite my butt.

We finally got to watch Hellboy 2: The Golden Army (or something close). I thought it was great. I'm a big Hellboy fan, just like X-Men, although I haven't been reading Hellboy near as long. (I have yet to see Wolverine***, and since I heard they call Wolverine and Sabretooth brothers in it, I'm pretty sure I shouldn't). But it was a great movie. I have always really been drawn to the idea of the other in society, be it the mutant, or the monster, co-exisiting side by side with humans.

It's obviously an easy metaphor for feeling like an outsider most of my life. And although I've never gotten into Tolkein, I understand the attraction. It's comforting to feel like their are secrets

(Sorry had to delete Belinda Carlisle's Heaven is a Place on Earth from my Madonna Pandora)

that only you understand because you can't understand what is so common place. Trolls do live under bridges. Fairies do come cause trouble at night if you leave the tent door open. Trees breathe in the forest. Fish keep fishermen's secrets. Gnomes collect spilled spices and refill your jars if you leave them trinkets lying about (buttons, lint, etc).

Who wouldn't want to live in this world?

Anyway I'm blabbing. Back to work. Back to reality.


*** If you really want to start reading some amazing graphic novel fiction about Wolverine and Weapon X, start here. particularly love the story line with Lady Mariko Yashida and the artwork is impeccable.

No comments: