Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Be patient and I'll let you see my Carrot Rope

Wilco radio has come back to be my favorite Pandora station. Matt Suggs, Whiskeytown, Wilco, some Pavement (god Malkamus, sometimes I just hate you), Ryan Adams (same goes for you too), but you know, it's rainy all week (thanks Gustav!) and I figure, well why not?

Plus it's a nice slow ending to a wound up weekend. We thought my dad had had another heart attack on Sunday. Threw our shit in a bag and zoomed up to the farm. We're so lucky, so lucky it was either the flu or food poisoning. But with dad, I won't take any chances any more. I didn't take it seriously enough the first go round. His heart surgery, detox, staying in the President Clinton suite at UAMS (he was an important dude there in his time). I was so selfish. Wrapped up in sorrow and a relationship that, well, was slowly strangling my will to love. And I didn't think about it because I was told not to think about it. In that way parents don't want you to worry, you know.

I won't ever make that mistake twice.

-------------------
Anyway, when I was little, and on rainy days, my dad had recorded a bunch of Looney Tunes cartoons that he'd recorded and he taught me how to work the VCR, so that I would sit, fascinated, little 1983 me, and would watch them on a loop.

Anyway there's a couple of my favorites, the more surreal of the bunch, that I think what inspires my love of surreal comics today*. First is Duck Amuck, really just the best of the bunch.



Really just as good as it gets in cartoons, old and new. Except SuperJail.



PS Not in it's entirety, probably NSFW, but then again, depends on where you work, and you need headphones.

What's Opera, Doc? is also a great one. Enjoy below:




Anyway back to it. The first day back from Labor Day weekend is always hard. Coffee anyone?


**Side note, have you heard they're making Kick-Ass into a movie...with Nick Cage!! Bain to movie watcher's existance everywhere!! And then how I'm reminded of Mardi Gras where Nick Cage was king and what a giant man he is, especially in the all black leather ensemble complet avec black leather cape and a high Edwardian collar of dyed black ostrich feathers. Hang on, I'm sure I can find a picture somewhere. Yup. There it is. Saw it with me own eyes.

No comments: