Friday, July 11, 2008

Anytime, anyway

Phrases floating around in my mind:

hidden among every curve,
a piece of chocolate, lotus petal,
some swatch of silk,
mother of pearl,
mother of god,

loving spoonful arms, I fell in love with a girl.

Had things been different, [I could not be] Magellan, De Soto, or Cortes, she him him me me her and the other two as well. Collected like. Honeybee hives. Bell jar sorts. Mountain goat eyes.

I know what it feels like to be seen right on through. It was not a thing I could do but keep him around,
worthless, shifty, lazy, ridiculous,
but still, hers. I hung on him because Well, we all understand why.

Such jealous beasts at playground love. Still. then.

I came inside and hid there while she tried on my shoes, two sizes too large. It never dissolved. She still knows.

-------------
I read my baby cuz Madeline "Horton Hears a Who" while we were at the beach putting on my best performance "Harumph Harumph Harumph" if I might add. Note to self: best performance is exhausting.

No comments: