Thursday, May 7, 2009

those were the happiest days of my life



I found a picture of you, oh oh oh oh
What hijacked my world that night
To a place in the past
Weve been cast out of? oh oh oh oh
Now were back in the fight
Were back on the train
Oh, back on the chain gang

A circumstance beyond our control, oh oh oh oh
The phone, the tv and the news of the world
Got in the house like a pigeon from hell, oh oh oh oh
Threw sand in our eyes and descended like flies
Put us back on the train
Oh, back on the chain gang

The powers that be
That force us to live like we do
Bring me to my knees
When I see what theyve done to you
But Ill die as I stand here today
Knowing that deep in my heart
Theyll fall to ruin one day
For making us part

I found a picture of you, oh oh oh oh
Those were the happiest days of my life
Like a break in the battle was your part, oh oh oh oh
In the wretched life of a lonely heart
Now were back on the train
Oh, back on the chain gang

This song has no particular value to me rather than it's such a perfect fit for so many scenarios in my life.

Driving with Aaron straight from Little Rock, picking up an old Fender Rhodes from the ghetto, then driving it home to drop it off to only drive straight to New Mexico and back?

Sitting in that deserted gas station, between home and St Louis, wishing he'd kiss me and then he never does, and then he never does.

Helping Carlos convince The Ramones that his student film about them was only because of circumstance, not profit. Smoking cigars from his home country as a result of our rewards.

Running with Anne out of the concert hall in Munich early backpacks strapped on tight, running to the train station, running to the platform, jumping on the train, barely making it but we do. Sorry Tori. But we had places to go!

Driving alone in high school from Little Rock to Jackson, MS to see my grandmother, spending the entire time with the windows down, hair wild, no AC in the middle of the summer. My Jeep was a champ that way.

Today, driving to lunch with Ben, wishing Husband could meet us, driving so fast in my new car and thinking I used to never be this kind of girl, or maybe I was, and I forgot, and either way, I'm glad it's me now. My hair curled extra tight and wild from the windows down and sunroof open. My world ahead full of ideas.

No comments: