Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Roll me in designer sheets, I just can't get enough

I'm now reading Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake, and I got it, gasp, from the library* and I'm struggling with it (bc I'm scared of where it's been) but we didn't have the moola for me to buy it right now. And I love it. It's really fairly amazing. Atwood is wonderful at the near post-apocalyptic, one of my favorite genres of anything, books, film, music, etc. And she's so incredibly inventive. The games she invents, I've never read anything like them aside from good ole Infinite Jest and it's Eschaton, and although she doesn't quite go into the same length of detail (understatement of the life), the games themselves are fascinating, Risk-era style. I fell in love with Risk in Oxford, England and I still have the picture from playing that game that lasted 1,000 years. I'm still no good at it but I love it. I love the idea of it. Not as much as Scrabble mind you, but all the same. But no one will ever play with me. It's such a commitment.

So anyway I'm enjoying the book. A lot. And these games, I want to play these games. Blood and Roses. The Extinctathon. Others I can't remember now. I love playing games. Really only a development later in life. In high school I played the hell out of some cards but that was really only bc there was nothing else to do aside from school work and boys weren't all that important next to books and my girlfriends. But it mostly faded. No one ever wants to play games.

And I married a video gamer. Not the creepy obsessive type. Not like these guys.

Metalocalypse rules!

But he loves his video games all the same. And he's always looking out for games he thinks I'd like. And I enjoy watching him play, like, GTAIV, weird I know, but for the most part it's not really for me. Except the new DC Universe where you get to be a bad guy and blow stuff up. I think that sounds really fun. But it's still in the works. All the games I think I'd like are always still in the works. Or for the wrong system than what we have. Hubs tracked down a Nintendo Game Cube once for me to play that Zelda game with the horse. It was awesome. I was addicted to collecting bugs.

And now there's a new Zelda game coming out!! We have to get a Wii. We don't need a Wii but there always such a party hit and we have the 2nd Annual Wilson Christmas Annual Extravaganza to think about.

All work and no play...

It's strange being such a game player. I don't know why. It just feels foreign. Like girls don't do that. Or something. Just another way I'm on the right team I guess.








*Footnote, I'm terrified of used books, library books, libraries, librarians (except hot ones). Always have been. Always will be. Debt incurred be damned.

No comments: